YouTube super chat is an exciting feature launched in 2017 that evolved the way fans connect with creators. Basically, it allows viewers to highlight their messages in a live chat to grab the creator’s attention. Then there are Super stickers that are considered an extension of this feature.
They enable viewers to purchase an animated image that pops up in a live chat and looks all cool and awesome. Now, this feature might not seem that special to some of you at first. But actually, it enables Youtubers to monetize their live stream by selling exclusive stickers, emoticons, etc.
We will discuss this star-spangled awesome feature in today’s post and discover everything about it. Keep your eyes peeled, your wits about, and begin reading.
What is YouTube Super Chat?
In 2017, YouTube faced some significant threats that shook its market position. Many major brands were ready to boycott it, and the creators questioned YouTube’s lack of monetization methods. That was when YouTube launched the “Super Chats” feature to deescalate the situation and win public favor back.
In theory, this feature allows viewers to highlight their messages during the live chat of their favorite YouTube channel. And all they have to do is spend some money on it! If you look closely at the chat window during a live stream, you will see a dollar bill.
The viewers can click on it to donate to the creator in the real-time chat feed. But why would any viewer do that? Well, that is because using super chat sends a viewer’s message on top of the chat. It helps them get the creator’s attention and show them that they are their super fans.
How Does YouTube Super Chat Work?
Let’s take an example here to show you how the Super chat feature benefits viewer and YouTube creators. Assume that you are a devoted viewer who has just joined the live stream of your favorite Youtuber. Now, you would naturally want the creator to recognize you as their biggest fan, right? That is where the super chat feature comes in.
The viewer can use it to purchase a highlighted message that will remain pinned on the top of the chat. It will help them get the creator’s attention and show him their devotion. Now, the thing about Super chat is that the more money viewers spend, the more attention they get.
For instance, if someone donates $100, their message will remain on the top for one hour. And as they keep increasing the multiples of hundred, the hours will directly increase. The maximum current limit on super chat is $500. That’s the maximum amount any viewer can donate to a Youtuber. Then, of course, there are Super Stickers.
They are like exclusive chat elements that viewers can purchase to post animated images in chat messages. So, as a creator, Super chats and Super stickers are an excellent way for you to make money. The YouTube partner program covers both these features, so you can generate a considerable sum using them wisely.
Eligibility Requirements for YouTube Channels to Enable Super Chats
To enable super chats on your channel, it must follow these three primary criteria:
- The channel must be monetized.
- The creator must be 18 or older.
- The channel should be live from a location where YouTube is currently active.
If your channel meets all these criteria, you can easily enable the Super chats. However, sometimes you might not see the option on your channel despite fulfilling these criteria. Don’t panic in this situation.
You should first review your live stream settings to see if everything is correct there. If that does not solve the problem, contact YouTube support and tell them about your issue. They will go through your channel and fix the problem for you.
How to Turn on Super Chats on Your YouTube Channel?
Enabling super chats on a channel is pretty easy. Just follow these steps, and you will be ready to get highlighted messages on your live chat.
Step 1: Go to the YouTube official site and “Log In” to your account.
Step 2: Click on your “Profile Picture” and select “YouTube studio” from the dropdown.
Step 3: Navigate to the left navigation menu and scroll down. Click on the “Monetization” option once you see it.
Step 4: Once you are on the channel monetization dashboard, click on the “Supers” option on top of the screen.
Step 5: Now, you can simply “Enable” or “Disable” the Super chats and Super stickers option on your channel.
How Much Does YouTube Take from Super Chats?
Since the Super chats feature is covered by the YouTube partner program, of course, the platform takes its cut. YouTube takes about 30% of every donation you get on the live stream. Also, most super chat donations are non-refundable.
It means that once a viewer donates money via their credit card, they can’t claim it back. They will be sent a digital receipt in their email. Many creators consider YouTube’s sharing ratio outrageous, but that’s how it is.
To make money on the platform, you must abide by its rules and give them their cut. However, there are some other excellent tactics that you can use to make more money on YouTube. We will discuss them in one of the upcoming headings.
Few Things to Keep in Mind
Following are some key points that you must keep in mind to use the Super chats feature effectively:
- The money you make via Super chats depends on fans. So, try to engage them as much as possible during the live stream.
- Don’t ask for donations. It can affect your public image as an influencer and creator.
- The maximum amount anyone can donate is $500 during a live stream. You can check all the donations you received in YouTube studio’s ‘Monetization’ section.
- YouTube takes 30% of all donations you get, so don’t be surprised if your total doesn’t add up.
- You must connect an ad sense account to your channel to collect super chat donations.
- It is recommended to host exclusive live streams for your super fans to appreciate them. Doing so also encourages others to donate more to be a part of the super fans club.
Want to Make More Money on YouTube?
No doubt that the Super chats feature is excellent for making money, but it is not the only way. There are many other ways of generating revenue on YouTube that you should know. Here are some of them:
- Monetize your videos and make money against every view. You must focus on your comments, subscribers, and other stats to use this tactic effectively.
- Do brand integrations in your videos. You can earn a lot of money by promoting brands in front of your audience.
- Work with affiliate sites to sell their products through your channel.
- Promote your brand and convince your audience to purchase its products or services.
- You can license your creative content to media houses.
- Use your channel as a crowdfunding platform to start a project.
Leave a Reply